Montese

Montese stretches over an area of over 80 square km, from the Rivers Panaro and Leo as far as the mountain ridge which divides the provinces of Modena and Bologna. The town developed at the foot of the fourteenth-century fortress which, with its double walls, pointed arch and crenellated tower, dominates the landscape.

The first written evidence of the settlement dates back to 1178, when a certain Trupaldus filius quondam Littonis de Montese donated property from inside and outside the castle of Montese to the St Peter’s Monastery in Modena. On 28th August 1197 the inhabitants of Montese swore an oath of allegiance to the city-state of Modena. In 1212 Otto IV gave Montese in fiefdom to the Montecuccoli family, while in the 17th century it came under the direct control of the Duke of Modena. During the nineteenth century the village became a summer holiday destination. To this day the town is still surrounded by greenery and offers a network of trails which allow for the discovery of ancient communication routes; the area is also famed for the production of mountain Parmigiano Reggiano, Montese potatoes and chestnuts. For sports-lovers, there is an outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, bowling green, gym and a dedicated track for the ancient sport of “ruzzola”, which involves rolling a wooden disc along the track.

Altitude: 841 metres above sea level

Contacts
Local Editorial Office
Via Panoramica 25 41055 Montese (Modena) - Italy
059/971122
059/971100